Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Idiosyncrasy of Runners

“At paces that might stun and dismay the religious jogger, the runners easily kept up all manner of chatter and horseplay. When they occasionally blew by a huffing fatty or an aging road runner, they automatically toned down the banter to avoid overwhelming, to preclude the appearance of show boating (not that they slowed in the slightest). They in fact respected these distant cousins of the spirit, who, among all people, had some modicum of insight into their own days and ways. But the runners resembled them only in the sense that a puma resembles a pussy cat. It is the difference between stretching lazily on the carpet and prowling the jungle for fresh red meat.” 
― Once a Runner by John L. Parker Jr.

I am by no stretch of the imagination an excellent runner. The fastest 5k I've ever run is a 21:30, net downhill (Knoxville Covenant Health 5k). Also, a 45:38 10k (Rodes City Run, Louisville), 1:41:32 half (KY Derby Festival Mini-marathon). Still, it wasn't until recently that I understood the sentiment expressed in the above passage (it's from a book called Once A Runner by John L. Parker Jr. Excellent book for runners, a must read!) As I bombed past people on the greenway, nasty thoughts would creep in my head: "You're not gonna lose the weight talking on your cellphone while you 'run', lady!" or "Don't break a sweat there man, wouldn't want to get your $50 running shirt smelly!" or "(Insert comment here about any one of these dudes)"

Seriously, if you don't click "these dudes" you suck, you NEED to watch that video...

But, that's not the right attitude at all. Running serves the human spirit in so many ways that it isn't possible for any person to completely understand the motivation, the plight, the goals of another. The benefits are completely idiosyncratic, and defined by no one other than the runner (unless, well, you're Galen Rupp or Mo Farah or something... then everyone wants you to win). The unity comes in that we are runners and that when we cross the line we accomplish. What? Doesn't matter... it's specific to the individual. But, we accomplish together. For the longest time I integrated my competitive "team sports" mentality into running and felt like I had to beat everyone, and by beating them I was somehow better. You either win, or lose... that's it. But anyone who has ever watched THE LAST spent marathoner break into tears after crossing the finish line knows that there is so much more. That person won today, and in our mutual accomplishments we are equal, regardless of talent or skill. (Kimberly, you must be so proud)

However, at the same time this doesn't mean I shouldn't try to be a puma. Said another way, since we don't gauge ourselves against one another we must strive to continually better ourselves! That's precisely where I struggled. I'm training hard to better myself and it was easy to scoff at others who weren't working so hard, but that's not in their "goal set", that's not why they run! While beating the guy next to me served as a great personal training tool, thinking less of others who didn't work hard didn't make me more of a runner, or a better person. I'm not saying you shouldn't strive to win. I just failed to understand that when you're 'dropping his ass' (I've said that before) in the last 100 meters, he's PRing, and when he crosses that line he will be just as happy as you. It never occurred to him that your kick suggests he kindly eat your dust and report to his car shortly after the race, receiving no celebratory Mac-Donalds on the way home for LOSING! LOSER... NO! That's not what it's about.

Perhaps that is why I find triathlons so endearing. There is an additional layer of unity in that you HAVE to train. The best runner who has never mounted a bike will die in the middle of the tri before they get to the run and surely be disappointed. Lance Armstrong, having never donned a speedo, would surely drown (or, take on a lot of water before finishing). You must respect the sport, and your limits, and train to overcome them. Walking a 5k is excellent for some, but you simply cannot walk an open water swim... you must become a puma. I find great camaraderie in the lifestyle, the accomplishments, and the training with my fellow triathletes.

So, I digress. I used to think I couldn't call myself a runner because I wasn't fast enough. Part of that idea probably comes from the fact that I live with an ex-division 1 runner. But, now I truly believe that anyone who runs for any reason, as idiosyncratic as it may be, can call themselves a runner. But seriously, get the f*** off your cellphone while you exercise, the world can wait for 1 hour! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note: I recently learned that Lance Armstrong did triathlons BEFORE cycling, but I'm leaving my error in the text because that's a friggen hilarious mistake! I coulda picked ANYONE! :)


4 comments:

  1. 'Bout time you start listening to me!
    Also - I'd rather be a cheetah than a puma. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quote from a great book.

    I like your classification of a runner centered around purpose. Runners always say they're going for a run, not a jog, no matter the pace. I feel like going for a 'jog' sort of implies a lack of purpose. It's probably pretty snooty, but I have to correct people when they ask if I jog :)

    Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are getting bent out of shape over the Lance comment. What I'm saying is that if Lance never trained for the swim, despite being an excellent cyclist, he would not make it (or, barely survive it). He must train for it... all three sports. Now, of course he knows how to swim, he does tri's (I did not know he did them before cycling).

    A less "sensitive" version of the same sentence goes, "An excellent cyclist that has never donned a speedo would surely drown in the swim."

    Also, apparently my color scheme sucks balls... haha.

    ReplyDelete